Did you know?
- Rats have an extreme and irrational dislike of anything new or unfamiliar.
- They can fit into an opening the size of a nickel.
- They are primarily nocturnal.
- They are great swimmers and climbers.
- The species originated in southeast Asia.
- They habitually rob other species of their food.
- They also eat roaches and snails.
- They will gnaw on anything.
- They burrow under the dirt to make their nests, but also live in sewers.
- They will travel well beyond their comfort zone of 150 feet from the nest for the right opportunity, whether it be food or reproduction.
- Their tails are longer than their bodies.
- They are partially blind.
- Their ears are oversized for their heads.
- Female rats can have 4 to 6 litters per year, with 6 to 8 pups per litter.
- Baby rats rapidly grow to maturity in 2 to 5 months.
- The population is dominated by strong males.